In a perfect world though, you would be able to choose on a post by post basis whether you want to schedule Instagram Stories with notification reminders or schedule an image to auto post. And you’d never have to worry about posts failing because your image is the wrong size. Well, welcome to the perfect world.
How to Schedule a Photo Instagram Story with or without a link
While your reasons for scheduling a story are as varies as can be, in this case, I am posting a story which will link to a blog post. To entice more people to check out my story, I will also post a regular Instagram update and let people know there is a link to the blog post in the story.
- First I will go to Tailwind on desktop and schedule an auto post. In this case, I have scheduled an Instagram post for 12:55pm and I have included, “Check out the #LinkInStory to learn more” in the description. Note: if you have ever had your auto posts fail because of size/ratio issues, you’ll be happy to know that Tailwind will now auto crop your posts for you.
- Next you will want to schedule your Instagram story for 12:50, to ensure it is added before the regular post. My post consists of the image – and for the description, its just the URL I will need in order to add the link.
- When you get the notification reminder to publish the story, click on “Yes, let’s do this” after you have verified you are logged into the correct account. We will automatically copy your link here.
- The image will open up in Instagram. Select “Story”.
- In the story editing screen, you can add the link we copied for you by clicking on the little link icon.
- Hit “Your Story” and you are done!
- Your regular photo post from step one will automatically post to Instagram at your scheduled time.
How to Schedule a Video Instagram Story with a link
If you want to schedule a video story to Instagram, you will need a slightly different method, because it is not yet possible to directly schedule videos for posting on Instagram. For the sake of consistency in this case, I am again posting a story which will link to a blog post. As I did above, I will also schedule a regular Instagram post and let people know that there is a link to the blog post in the story. Here is how to do it:
- Go to Tailwind on desktop and schedule your regular auto post update. Again, I would include, “Check out the #LinkInStory to learn more” in the description
- Now schedule a post which will use notification reminders, add in the link to the blog post that you want to use in the story. You will also add a link to the video. Likely you will have it in dropbox or on a similar site. See the example to the right.
- When you get the notification to publish the post to Instagram, select and cut the file location of your video and paste it into your phone’s internet browser. Download the video to your phone.
- Then, back in your Tailwind app, select and cut the URL out of the description and copy it to the clipboard.
- Go to the home screen of Instagram on your phone and publish the video you saved to your phone in step two as your story, then add the link by clicking on the little link icon.
- Hit “Next” and share your story.
- Your regular Instagram photo post will publish automatically at the scheduled time.